4

WoW!

Right now, I’m living something so surreal that I never thought it would be possible in junior high school.

I must say that I never thought my students would be like they are when I accepted to work there. And as any teacher would like, it is almost a dream come true. Have you ever wanted to work with teenagers aged 13-15? Being, most of the times, responsible? quiet? participative? respectful? and hard-working? Isn’t that exciting?

It is a great and different experience I want to seize to the maximum, and after getting to know each other I think the time has come to do so. The past week I started to introduce my students to the world of blogging, I was glad to see that most of them were very enthusiastic about this and are trying hard. Our class blog is designed to share the written works we do in class: essays, letters, timelines, biographies, personal experiences and so on. By the way, have I mentioned that they are EFL students? Therefore, it is very invigorating to read such coherent texts like theirs.  Obviously some texts need improvement, hence their works are edited and proofread before they are published.

Another important aspect I want to achieve is sharing among them, as any teacher knows, when students write a text they think it’s for the teacher’s eyes only; and maybe they do care for grammar and spelling because it is part of the grading process. However, they still make some basic sintaxis mistakes, or sometimes the topics they choose are trivial and well, not worthy for a good text. And now I expect they care more about their writing and about the topics they choose; they will keep in mind that their work will be checked by the teacher, and by other teachers, by their classmates, and by students of other classes and grades.

To be this an encouragement instead of the opposite, I’m thinking about giving extra credits or rewards to the most commented post, or perhaps, to the most active writer, to the most read, or to the best rated. Parameters must be done.

Finally, I really hope we can all get through this satisfactorily carrying with us great experiences.

Good writing my padawans!

Class Blogs:  Publishing Corner for first graders, On the Wall for third graders.

Jesús

4 Comments

1. How exciting! I love those classes that inspire you and make you want to wake up and do something wonderful for them each day. Best of luck on your blogging journey with your students. If they are anything like my students, they will really enjoy it.

• The difficult thing about blogging in the school is not student’s motivation; as anywhere else, there are some who love it and others who dislike it a bit. The difficulty is not to have enough time and computers to teach them exactly how to do it. Nevertheless, they have done it very nice.

Deja un comentario

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos necesarios están marcados *